Monday, July 20, 2009

The Pain of Wisdom (Tooth)

Its after a long time since i became an adult that i re-experienced the deadly tooth-ache again.Long back a sa child having a tooth ache meant a small duration of discomfort,some pain during the tooth extraction & then yummy softy to satiate the anxious spirit.

But alas!now it means pain,pain & more pain.I did hear people talk of Wisdom tooth as something that makes itself obvious in the later stages of life.Many simply extract it & many simply bear the pain without loosing it.

Somehow as luck would have it,i got my wisdom tooth 3 days ago, which amounts to 26 years after i was born & nealy 6 months after my marraige.Paradox if not paradoxical enough the pain made itself be felt after i watched the first day-first show of the hugely acclaimed movie-The Slumdog Millionaire.

The pain started on friday morning,it was slow & not causing much problems ,so i just didnt give it much attention.On saturday it was too intense to be ignored,so i asked a family doctor to give me the medicine.A plain paracetemol was all that i had,so i took it to ease the pain.As i slept the pain huddled me,threw me,made me scream & yet no releif was in sight.The tooth ache & the subsequent head ache where pinching my soul.The night seemed long & painful.At about 4 am i opted for a home made cure.I crushed 4 cloves,added some salt & little cooking oil to make a paste.Then i dipped a cotton ball into the paste & then kept the ball in my mouth near the wisdom tooth.This acted as a sort of anesthetic for the tooth & the pain subsided immediately.Thus i was able to sleep till 7 am.

After breakfast i got BRUFEN tablet from the market & began the course.The pain Nearly vanished for 6 hours,after 6 hours the pain came back.I felt like i was trapped in a unending circle of pain .It felt so painful to even gulp down food.

Yesterday was better,The pain was omnipresent as was the discomfort but not to that extent.I researched on how my friends & family had dealt with this & deduced that many prefer to bear the pain rather than extract the tooth.

Not only is eating an effort for me for the past 3 days,even gulping water or just sleeping quitely is painful.I seriously feel sick at times.Its like a two-edged sharp pin having been inserted with one end in your teeth & other in your head.Unbearable really

Today i feel better but have decided to consult a doctor in the evening to eradicate the possibility of inflimation & get the right dosage of medicines to be used.Now i am reminded of what my grandfather used to say “Wisdom comes at a price which not everyone is willing to pay”…In my case the wisdom tooth proved to be too costly for comfort

No comments:

Post a Comment